Monday, 9 January 2012

Sometimes The Script Is Easier Than You Think...

One afternoon, late last year, I spent some small amount of time considering how to make a spaceship that resembled a severed head. I made a little sketch of an actual head to start me off, and went from there.

Two doodles later I thought to myself, "Hmmm, this isn't working, let's check out the script for more inspiration."

Upon rereading the scene, I found that writer Greg Meldrum didn't want me to make a spaceship that looked like a severed head, he wanted me to have an actual severed head floating about in space. Which is bizarrely easier to draw. Who would have guessed.


3 comments:

  1. I'd love to say that I know for sure where I got this 'floating severed head in space' idea from or what it means. I increasingly (and retrospectively) think it was inspired by a Gary Larson cartoon in which the crew of the USS Enterprise encounter the giant floating head of Zsa Zsa Gabor. 'Shields up, Mr. Scott!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Greg: I know the cartoon you mean! Cheers for following along with my posts, it definitely adds value to them. Once the thing has been released into the world, I think I will succumb to the need to write up a big self-indulgent designers notes post.

    @Don: Good to know it has an impact, thanks! This is possibly the least creepy thing in the whole strip, so hopefully your interest is now fully piqued!

    ReplyDelete