Sunday, 10 April 2011

And Lo, We Behold The Creatures Awoken By Our Meddling In The Lost Vault Of Kor-Avul-Thaa

I've spent a fair amount of today working on that comic I keep mentioning. The page in question is shaping up to be my favourite out of all the comic pages I have ever drawn. I guess an artist's most recent page should always be their best, but there is something about this one which I personally feel goes beyond my usual scale of "another page, another minuscule improvement."

This positive attitude has allowed me to make one last trip into that oft mentioned portable hard drive of lost wonders. I was going to post these a while back, but baulked at associating my name with such crude spectres of a life long lost. Another day, another frame of mind, and now the beasts lumber forth from their shattered prison.

Several years ago, those delightfully crazy people at the HPLHS (check out their breakfast cereal) thought it would be a good idea to create their own copy of the dreaded Necronomicon. They created the Necronomicontest, which invited people to enter submissions for this tome in the hope of winning a nicely bound copy for themselves.

Sadly, to the best of my knowledge, the text was never completed, probably due  to the level of authenticity the society always attempts to achieve. One of Lovecraft's letters suggests that the book has over 984 unnumbered pages. This would be a tall task for any editor, let alone one that is not getting paid.

I drew a few pictures for the contest. I posted the Shoggoth over Christmas, and there are one or two smaller pictures hidden away in some sketchbook somewhere, which I will dig out for a future post. Until then, enjoy this selection of memories from more carefree days.

Cthulhu
Deep One
Yog Sothoth


On the surface of Yuggoth
with inhuman screams,
a Byakhee and Shoggoth
fought in my dreams.

2 comments:

  1. Awe-inspiring stuff, especially the last picture. You are truly the go-to artist when it comes to drawing alien landscapes and yucky creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you very much, that sounds like something I might have to quote you on.

    ReplyDelete